The short of it – and it’s quite lengthy – is that unrefined salt with a full complement of trace minerals enables water to infiltrate and maintain an aqueous balance within and outside the cells of your body.
It’s not the water you swallow, but the fluid your tissues can willingly accept, that hydrates you.
Untold numbers of well-intentioned water-guzzlers are losing a major share of their water benefits because their heroic water intake cycles out of their systems almost as quickly as it enters them. But this does not occur when a smidgen of unrefined salt is in the system at the time water is drunk, or, better yet, dissolved into the water.
An eight-year study of a New York City hypertensive population stratified for sodium intake levels found those on low-salt diets had more than four times as many heart attacks as those on normal-sodium diets – the exact opposite of what the “salt hypothesis” would have predicted. Dr. Jeffrey R. Cutler documented no health outcome benefits of lower-sodium diets. Salt Institute, 1995.
HIGH-QUALITY UNREFINED SALT HEALTH BENEFITS
1. Contrary to popular medical mythology, natural, unprocessed mineral salt has a remarkable healing effect upon the human body, particularly in conjunction with an abundant intake of water.
2. Potassium is abundantly present in fruits and vegetables, but, unless one is taking sea vegetables regularly, one may be deficient in natural sodium. As a precaution, we may need to add very minimal amounts of salt to our daily diet. By far, the preferable sources for such unprocessed, mineral-rich salt are Celtic sea salt, Himalayan pink salt and sea vegetables.)
3. Salt has many other functions in addition to regulating the water content of the body.
- Salt can be used to relieve congestion by putting it on the tongue after drinking glass or two of water. It is effective, without the toxicity of medication. You should drink one or two glasses of water before putting salt on the tongue.
- Salt is a strong "anti-stress" element for the body
- Salt is vital for extracting excess acidity from inside the cells, particularly the brain cells. If you don't want Alzheimer's disease, don't go salt-free, and don't let Western medical practitioners put you on diuretic medications!
- Salt is vital for the kidneys to clear excess acidity and pass the acidity into the urine. Without sufficient salt in the body, the body will become more and more acidic.
- Salt is essential in the treatment of emotional and affective disorders. Lithium is a salt substitute that is used in the treatment of depression. To prevent suffering from depression, make sure you consume unrefined salt to get its full health benefits.
- Salt is essential for preserving the serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain. When water and salt perform their natural antioxidant duties and clear the toxic waste from the body, essential amino acids, such as tryptophan and tyrosine, will not be sacrificed as chemical antioxidants.
- Salt, in my opinion, is vital for the prevention and treatment of cancer. Cancer cells are killed by oxygen; they are anaerobic "organisms." They must live in a low-oxygen environment. When the body is well hydrated and salt expands the volume of blood circulation to reach all parts of the body, the oxygen and the active and "motivated" immune cells in the blood reach the cancerous tissue and destroy it.
- Salt is vital for maintaining muscle tone and strength. Lack of bladder control in those who suffer from involuntary leakage of urine could be a consequence of low salt intake.
Please share as inspired.
May you live and be well.
Joseph Marcello, October 2011
Joseph Marcello, director of Northfield Healing Arts in Northfield, Massachusetts. He has pursued the study and practice of the energy arts for over 35 years. He may be contacted at: JosephMarcello@verizon.net.